Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz Bibliothek – Niedersächsische Landesbibliothek
The Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz Bibliothek – Niedersächsische Landesbibliothek (GWLB) is one of the largest regional libraries in Germany with more than 1.6 million media. Founded in 1665 as the court library of the Guelphs, it possesses important historical holdings, preserves and safeguards an important part of Lower Saxony’s cultural heritage.
The GWLB is a research and study library for the intellectual, cultural and scientific history of the 16th to 18th centuries. Two UNESCO awards with the title World Document Heritage – in 2007 for the correspondence of Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz and in 2015 for the Golden Letter – made the library known worldwide. The Leibniz legacy preserved in the GWLB is indexed and researched in the Leibniz Archive, the largest editorial office of the Academy of Sciences in Göttingen.
In its main subjects History, Philosophy and Theology, the GWLB supports the supply of literature to Leibniz Universität Hannover and guarantees free access to scientific information for all citizens.
As a literature and information centre for Lower Saxony, the GWLB exercises the right of deposit for literature published in Lower Saxony. In addition, it collects and indexes literature on the federal state as completely as possible, creates the bibliography of Lower Saxony and other bibliographic databases.
The Centre for Education and Training is responsible for trainee librarians at academic libraries in Lower Saxony, fulfils the chamber function for specialist staff for media and information services and offers a comprehensive library training programme with various partners.
The task of the Akademie für Leseförderung Niedersachsen, which is based at the GWLB, is to anchor reading competence and reading motivation at all levels of education, to train and educate the various players in reading promotion with training events and information, and to network them in a sustainable manner.